Philosophy of Music Education

There are many factors that contribute to my philosophy of education, but the most critical of those is that my students are the center of every aspect of my philosophy. Music is something that is apart of each human being whether they recognize it or not. Whether it be that someone associates a feeling with music or a memory, I would argue that we aren’t human without music. I want my classroom to be a place that any student – regardless of culture, language, prior knowledge of music, or level can feel safe, welcomed, and have a hunger to learn and be the best they can be. By creating an environment based around formal education, my students will have a consistent schedule and the feeling of order, while also having the freedom to be creative. I intend to teach in a way that allows every type of student and human to be successful. This can be done through patience, multiple ways to present a new concept, and just learning about and knowing your students. For students to be able to authentically create, there is a vulnerability that needs to be present in the classroom environment. I want my students to be able to be themselves and create in a way that is organic to them, their backgrounds and cultures. The only way my students will feel vulnerable and comfortable enough to learn is if I am an advocate for education in every way. Supporting their other classes and activities is critical for this to happen. I want to show them that I will always support their learning whether it is how I act towards it, what I say about education in general, and how I approach teaching them. My purpose in the classroom is to aid them, not dictate, by being open to learning with them, and discovering music with their suggestions and input while also applying it to our lessons. My hope is to nurture their worldviews through music education.

As a teacher, I don’t want to put limits on my students in a way that doesn’t allow them to grow to their full potential. I intend to push my students by discussing historical significance in music, current events and how music relates, as well as how music applies to every day life. Making historical connections not only applies to other educational classes, but it makes the connections with generations before us, while also allowing students to think independently. Not only do I want my students to apply music to every day life, but the concepts they learn while creating music. Whether that be personal accountability in an ensemble, teamwork, leadership or organizational skills. I want them to recall the feelings of belonging and creating and apply those to their everyday lives. High expectations will be held for musical success as well as overall student success. In order to create an environment that is safe, I need to be prepared for every class and always have a plan in mind to teach a concept or a piece of music. I plan to do this by having a detailed schedule of what to teach, and different alternatives to teaching it so that my teaching techniques can apply to every type of learner. My overall intention is to help each and everyone of my students grow in their own way using music as a tool that will guide them but also be a familiar and safe thing they can always come back to.
Citations

Koza, Julia. “”Save the Music”? Toward Culturally Relevant, Joyful, and Sustainable School Music.” Philosophy of Music Education Review 14.1 (2006): 23-38. Web.

Tobias, Evan S. “Reply to “Another Perspective: A response to ‘Toward Convergence.’” Music Educators Journal (2013): Article.